Friday, June 7, 2013

Do you love to monkey around?


Monkey lovers, we've got something for you to jump up and down about! It's called "Going Bananas" and it was designed by Sandi Irish. You can find it in the June-July issue of McCall's Quick Quilts. 
"Going Bananas" by Sandi Irish;
featured in McCall's Quick Quilts June-July 2013 issue

The quilt uses prints from three Kanvas collections: Monkey Business, Tree Frogs, and Jungle Jive.



We asked Sandi a few questions about her cuddly monkey friends. 

Do you have a favorite print in the collection?
The bananas are great but I really like the main monkey print. The faces have so much character and if I think about it too much I'm sure I would start seeing the faces of people I know! 


How did you come up with the Rail Fence pattern variation?
 I wanted a simple quilt that would be fast and easy. I had a slightly more complicated design in mind but I just couldn't get it to work out without adding a lot more seams or doing partial seams. Sometimes the simple route is better. I also wanted to make sure the faces were all going the same way, which worked out well with this design.

How did you machine quilt it?
I kept the actual quilting design simple. I wanted the focus to be on the fabric, just did a meander in the blocks and a wavy zig-zag in the strips. I have a long arm machine but it is a table mounted version so I spray baste all of my quilts and machine quilt like you would on a regular domestic machine.

What do you see this quilt being used for?
I'm sure this would be a great kids' quilt but I'm betting there are plenty of monkey-loving adults that would enjoy it!

What do you like best about the quilt?
It's quick and easy. Sometimes you just need a quilt that you can 'git 'er done'! This is one of those quilts.

See the entire Monkey Business collection here, Jungle Jive here, and Tree Frogs here
Find out more about Sandi here
Find the kit for this project here.
Find McCall's Quick Quilts here.








Love It? Share It! Facebook Twitter Google Pinterest Email

No comments:

Post a Comment